Spoon Carving Workshop (1 day) Tuesday 26 May 2020 - 6 places
Wood Knoydart's first spoon carving workshop in collaboration with the Jill Swan Spoon Academy .
This one day workshop will give you an introduction to the skills and techniques of spoon carving and you will take home your very own spoon crafted from Knoydart timber....and a set of new skills! Working outside at Knoydart Forest Trust's forest workshop in Inverie you will be immersed in the fabric of our community woodland.
The workshop will cover:
* Tools - an overview of the various tools available for spoon carving and similar projects
* Timber selection - what type of wood and what parts of the log are best and what to avoid
* Spoon design - overview of the proportions and features of spoons for different uses
* Cleaving/splitting timber - use of axe and froe for reducing thickness of wood
* Safe and effective axe and knife skills - demonstration and practicing numerous axe and knife techniques to enable you shape timber
* Finishes - information of various types of product to protect
If you would like a more in depth spoon experience we are offering a two day workshop at a reduced price - please book using the two day booking option.
The worskhop will start at 10am and run to around 4pm. Tea, coffee and snacks will be on offer. We ask all participants to bring lunch and wear warm working clothes and suitable footwear. Oh and don't forget your midge repellent in case the wee beasties are out!
Suitable for 16+ year olds.
Jill Swan (https://jillswan.com/)
Studied sculpture at Kennington art school. She took up spoon carving shortly after buying woodland outside Canterbury in 2007. She now teaches up and down the UK and demonstrates at country shows, festivals, fetes and Bushcraft shows.
KFT Forest Workshop
KNOYDART PH41 4PL
t 01687 462560
For ferries info visit www.westernislescruises.co.uk
Suggestions for accommodation see www.visitknoydart.co.uk